Wednesday, June 29, 2011


What Defines Success?

What does it mean to be successful? We often tie our success to our careers. If we have the “grand” title than we are successful, if we earn six figures or more than we are successful, if we are well known in our industry, than we are successful, and so on and so on. However, we have also heard stories about people who are supposedly very successful – in our opinion, but in truth they are miserable with themselves and living out a sad life.

Often we compare our success to what we see in other people. If our definition of success matches up with the life they are living, then we want to do something similar to them to gain these results. For example, I think Oprah is very successful. I admire how she has transformed her live, and helped millions of people in the process. However, if I go out and host a talk show, my own magazine and TV network, will that make ME successful? Probably not because these things I have no interest in. It’s Oprah’s personality and her mindset that have made her so successful.

So what does define success? How can we really know if we are successful? I have been pondering this question lately and really thinking about what success means to me. And how will I know when I am successful in my career, or as a wife, friend, or eventually a mother? One way I would suggest figuring out what defines success for you is thinking about how it makes you feel. Think of a time when you thought you were successful and reflect on the feelings that this event created? Hopefully they were positive feelings such as happiness, relieve, a sense of pride, excitement, joy, etc. What did you bring to the table that caused this success? Maybe you studied hard and passed the bar exam or you organized a presentation that received glowing feedback. These accomplishments incorporate a characteristic within you that will lead you to success in any area of life, not just your career.

As I am writing this, I am starting to realize what success means to me. Success means to me being my authentic self in everything I do. This isn’t always easy, but it sure feels good when it happens! So what does success mean to you?




No comments:

Post a Comment