Thursday, September 15, 2011

Awestruck


My husband and I just returned from our final vacation of the summer. We visited family on Cape Cod, and then went to Martha’s Vineyard for a wedding of a good friend of mine.

Throughout this last year, I have been fortunate to spend some time in the Caribbean. The crystal clear ocean and white sand beaches are truly stunning. However, nothing compares to spending time near the Atlantic on the east coast.

Do you remember the first time you saw the ocean? I was around 9 or 10 and my family went camping with some friends in Maine. I will never forget when I walked over the sand dunes and saw for the first time the massive body of water, the Atlantic Ocean. I gasped out loud and was speechless. I saw the most beautiful navy blue water with no end in sight. It was completely mesmerizing (kind of like watching a camp fire). At that moment I felt so small and insignificant compared to this ocean. So much history has occurred within its boundaries. It’s the most beautiful thing, yet it can be deadly. I started thinking about all the marine life that was thriving underneath the water – a whole new world under there…

Now that I am older with much more responsibility and experiences under my belt, beautiful things in life sometimes pass me by without me giving it a second thought. I’m always moving fast trying to get the next thing accomplished. This trip to the ocean reminded me to slow down and absorb all the beauty this world has to offer.

No comments:

Post a Comment